‘Motor Caravan’ Insurance

Once your vehicle has been officially re-classified by the DVLA, you will need to change your insurance. Your original insurance will be for a ‘Panel Van’, and your vehicle is no longer one. So you need to cancel your existing policy, and get a new policy for a campervan.

UK Vehicle Classes

In the UK small vans, less than 3500kg, are classified as Class 4 vehicles. Vans between 3000kg and 3500kg are considered Class 7 vehicles. Class 7 vehicles have stricter MOT tests. Vehicles over 3500kg would normally go to a VOSA Test Centre. A bus/mini-bus with more than 8 seats (up to 13) is a Class 5, unless the seats are removed and the vehicle is re-classified as a campervan, then it becomes Class 4.

However, if a Class 7 vehicle is registered for recreation purposes, it becomes a Class 4 vehicle. Therefore, if you convert a Class 7 big panel van into a campervan or motorhome, changing it’s classification to a recreation vehicle will make life easier and cheaper for you.

Also note that you should insure you vehicle based on its classification. You cannot really insure a camper van as a panel van. Should you have to make a claim the insurance company are unlikely to pay if your vehicle is wrongly classified.

Let us know about your re-classification experiences in the comments below

Your Cart